Bon Secours Surgical Weight Loss Center is ready to assist you in a weight loss journey that sees you from your initial consultation through meetings with a fantastic group of WLS support members willing to share their good wishes and experiences.
In order to best explain what surgical weight loss is and how it can help, it’s best to first point out what it is not:
- Weight loss surgery is not a magic solution that will turn you into a supermodel within hours.
- Weight loss surgery is not suitable for all overweight people.
- Weight loss surgery is not a program that you undergo and expect to do nothing afterward.
While surgical weight loss is designed to take pressure off your bodily organs and overall health by encouraging rapid but safe weight loss, the procedure likely works differently than you expect. For one, there is no one set surgery, but three different options for which you may qualify.
- Gastric Banding: In which an adjustable LAP-BAND® is placed around your upper stomach to reduce the amount of food you intake. Average weight loss with the band amounts to 1-2 pounds a week.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy: In which part of your stomach is removed, leaving a thinner sleeve-like pouch, so you’ll take in less food and still feel full.
- Gastric Bypass: The stomach is reduced in size by stapling and connecting to the middle portion of the small intestine, effectively bypassing the rest of the intestine. This is the most common type of weight loss surgery and is considered the “Gold Standard” for its durable weight loss, long term.
Do you think you qualify for bariatric surgery? There are a number of things to consider, aside from a person’s weight. While it is the goal of Bon Secours to assist anybody in need of a good weight loss and fitness to help them shed pounds, WLS is a tool designed for a specific demographic. You are most likely able to take advantage of the talents of our skilled surgical team if you meet the following:
- Are between the ages of 21 and 64
- Have a body mass index (BMI) or 40 or above
- Are at least 100 pounds over your ideal weight for your height
- Have not had a similar procedure in the past
If you suffer from various health problems associated with your weight, including Type II Diabetes, Sleep Apnea, High Blood Pressure, and Urinary Stress, you may be considered a candidate. If not, Bon Secours offers other weight loss programs designed to suit your current needs.
We invite you to contact us today at 757-673-5990 to learn more about our weight loss surgery procedures and qualifications.